Mahasawat is the name of a twenty-seven-kilometer canal constructed in 1860 and officially opened to traffic in 1862 as a shortcut to Phra Pathommachedi, a stupa in Nakhon Pathom province.
This waterway offered a shorter travelling distance by connecting Bangkok Noi Canal to the Nakhon Chaisi (Tha Chin) River, and led to the settlement of villagers on the unoccupied land in that region. Initially, the canal was named by King Rama VI as “Maha Sawasdee” to correspond with the previously constructed canal called “Chedi Bucha”, and later shortened to “Mahasawat”.
In addition, the sub-district located to the west of the canal comprised of four villages - Sala Nok Krajork, Klong Mahasawat, Sala Din, and Klong Yong - was named “Mahasawat” as well (klong, in Thai, means a canal). As a result, the destination is also known “Klong Mahasawat” or “Mahasawat Canal”.